When you have kids, you're going to have messes. When you have carpet and kids, you're going to have stains to deal with. Here, you'll find tips to help you eliminate the stains from some of the things that your kids could get on your carpet.
Poop, Urine, and Vomit
Three things that every parent will have to clean out of the carpet at some point are poop, urine, and vomit. Disgusting to clean up, but totally possible to make the stains and odors go away.
- Pick up as much of the solids on the carpet as possible. Instead of using your fingers, you can use a plastic spoon to scrape the mess out of the carpet. Just be careful not to push the mess deeper into the carpet fibers.
- Get a bucket of very warm water mixed equally with white vinegar.
- Dip a sponge into the mixture and wring it out slightly. You want it wet, but not sopping wet.
- Blot the area with the wet sponge repeatedly.
- Follow with a clean, white cloth or wads of paper towels.
- Repeat the process until the spot and the odor is gone.
- Set a fan beside the spot and dry the area.
- Sprinkle baking soda over the area and cover it with plastic wrap. Let the plastic wrap sit for a couple of days so that it can absorb the remaining moisture.
- Vacuum the baking soda and examine the area. If the spot remains, repeat the process.
Bubble Gum and Tacky Candy
When you're dealing with bubble gum and tacky candy, ice cubes are your best friend.
- Put a few ice cubes inside a plastic bag.
- Place the bag of ice on the mess and let it sit for a half hour or so.
- Use a butter knife or putty knife to begin peeling the gum off of the carpeting.
- Continue refreezing the gum and peeling it away slowly.
- If there are small pieces remaining that you can't seem to scrape off, get a lemon and squeeze the juice onto the spot.
- Scrub the area with a toothbrush. Eventually, the lemon juice will break-down the remaining mess and it will be gone for good.
If you can't seem to keep up with the messes that your kids make on your carpeting on your own, talk with your local carpet cleaning professionals for assistance. They will help you keep your carpet not only looking great, but it will also be clean and safe for your kids to make more messes on in the future. For more information, contact a company like A Steam Pro Carpet Cleaning.